Query: Next workshop for foreign PhD students and more

Information, questions & advice - Culture shocks - Resources - Job market, etc.

While English is accepted overall on the forum, this section is dedicated to non-French speakers. No other language than English can be accepted, sadly, because of forum moderation manageability.

Query: Next workshop for foreign PhD students and more

Messagepar Pygmalion » 13 Mai 2013, 08:39

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me when the next workshop for foreign PhD students would take place. Is it an annual event? I am a PhD student in my writing-up stage from a British university, have already been residing in Switzerland, and would love to find out more about the academic job market in the country. Should one undertake a postdoc in order to be considered for an academic post? What about the number of publications and conference presentations used as weighting? Also, any pointers on the mentoring program to support foreign female researchers would be most appreciated.

Many thanks!
Pygmalion

Message(s) : 2

Re: Query: Next workshop for foreign PhD students and more

Messagepar GenMod » 21 Mai 2013, 11:28

Hello Pygmalion,

Welcome to the forum.

The workshop described here will take place two times during the fall semester: on 28th of october and 27th of november.

The information is not yet official and on the CUSO website, but I called them this morning on your behalf and the information comes form their main office. They do not publicize before they have the rooms booked in the host universities. They expect it to be online early august. You can check here: http://competences.cuso.ch/en/activities/

As far as postdoc or no postdoc, publications, etc. needed to land a position, it highly varies form discipline to discipline and the best will be to inquire more specifically in your local swiss network. You can of course also ask the question here, but it is not sure that there will be someone form your discipline seeing your post,

Concerning your last query, there are two programs for female researchers (though not especially "foreign") registered in Suisse Romande(aka French speaking part of the country) Universities:
-Starting Doc for researchers early in their PHD process
- The mentoring network for women for researchers about to finish or beyond their PHD

Some thematic workshops are also organized for women through the Programme d'Ateliers REGARD

I hope this answer your questions.

All the best for your career, and life, in Switzerland
GenMod

Message(s) : 118

Messagepar Pygmalion » 28 Mai 2013, 18:42

Hello GenMod,

Thank you for your warm welcome and, most of all, for your valuable pointers. They were all very much appreciated.

I shall keep an eye on the next CUSO workshop for foreign doctorate students. Meanwhile, I wondered if you could kindly help me interpret the following statements on the cost for the workshop: "This course is free, but the effective cost is approx. CHF 200.00 per person. Participants are eligible for reimbursement of incurred travel expenses by train (half-fare card, and 2nd class).". What puzzled me when reading them is: who provides the funding for the course fees and the travel reimbursements?

Concerning the mentoring programs for female researchers and other thematic workshops, I shall look into the information on the links you gave me.

With best wishes,
Pygmalion
Pygmalion

Message(s) : 2

Messagepar GenMod » 30 Mai 2013, 07:46

the CUSO who organizes the workshop receive is a partnership 4 French-speaking Universities (who also fund this forum and the related website along side with the EPFL) and partner institutions ([url]full list there[/url]).

It's main mission is to contribute to doctoral formation and the building "relève académique" (new generation of academics):

I am not informed about the details of financing, but there own documents state:

"La CUSO: organisation et objectifs
a) La CUSO est une organisation commune des institutions universitaires membres et partenaires. Ses ressources financières proviennent exclusivement de ces institutions et doivent être considérées comme des fonds publics (...)
b) L’organisation des activités repose dans une large mesure sur la mise en comun de ressources «en nature» disponibles dans les hautes écoles (enseignant‑e‑s, personnel administratif et technique, locaux, matériel…). Ces apports ne donnent lieu, en principe, à aucune compensation financière."

Which means that the CUSO is solely funded by its institutional partners and the organisation of workshops and programs mainly consists in freely sharing their existing resources (teachers, administration, technical workers, venues, etc.)

So the organization of the said workshop + financing travelling expenses will come from a blend of these two sources (institutional partners contribution & free sharing of resources).
GenMod

Message(s) : 118

Retour vers For foreign researchers / postdocs / PhD students