Workshop for Foreign PHD students [march 2012]

Information, questions & advice - Culture shocks - Resources - Job market, etc.

While English is accepted overall on the forum, this section is dedicated to non-French speakers. No other language than English can be accepted, sadly, because of forum moderation manageability.

Workshop for Foreign PHD students [march 2012]

Messagepar GenMod » 07 Février 2012, 15:14

CUSO organizes a course for foreign PhD students who want to find a job in Switzerland in the private of public sector after their thesis. For this course, which will be held March 2 in Neuchâtel, there are still some places available.

A career in Switzerland - as a foreign PhD
Dates - 2nd March 2012

Intervenants
Dr Wirth

Description
You are a foreigner and want to find a job in Switzerland in the private or public sector after your PhD. However, the step from University to industry or administration seems complicated to you. You don't know the local customs or companies, and you don't know how to proceed or how to communicate the skills you have developed during your PhD.

Workshop topics

You are foreigner and you want to find a job in Switzerland in the private or public sector after your PhD. However, the step from University to industry or administration seems to be quite complicated. You don't know the local customs or companies, and you don't know how to proceed or how to communicate the skills you have developped during your PhD. We will work on the following subjets:

Job application: How to apply for a job outside University, which documents are required, how to communicate your skills. We will discuss your CV and cover letter, and try to optimize them.

Job market: Which job market to target, what conditions to expect, what happens if you don't find a job. General information about the job market in Switzerland, labor laws, customs, unemployment insurance, etc. will be given.

Job interview: What questions will be asked, how to dress and behave, what salary to negotiate. General information about job interviews in Switzerland will be given.

Target group
Foreign PhD-candidates aiming to work in Switzerland in the private or public sector after completing their PhD.

Preparation for the workshop
The participants will be asked to write a cover letter and a CV prior to the workshop.

Supervisor of the workshop
Dr. Corina Wirth, Partner and Project Manager at Scimetrica Sàrl, responsible for the myScience.ch career services.

Lieu
Neuchâtel

This course is given in english

Date : 1 day on 2nd March 2012

Schedule: 10.00 - 17.00

This course is free, but the effective cost is approx. CHF 200.00 per person. Therefore a waiting list will be prepared to ensure that there are no empty seats.

Travel Costs
Participants are eligible for reimbursement of incurred travel expenses by train (half-fare card, and 2nd class).

Places: 12

Deadline 24.02.2012
GenMod

Message(s) : 118

Re: Workshop for Foreign PHD students [march 2012]

Messagepar pops » 28 Mai 2012, 10:50

I would like to know if anyone in this forum have already participated at this Workshop and could share some impressions about it. I think this will be really useful. I would like to take part in this workshop, but i never know if i should wait until i am more in a final stage of my phd... which period would be best...
I am curious about the content.. and so on.
I would be really happy to hear anything about this workshop.
thanks for sharing your impressions and thoughts.
pops

Message(s) : 16

Re: Workshop for Foreign PHD students [march 2012]

Messagepar GenMod » 29 Mai 2012, 12:51

Hello Atauril and welcome to the forum.

In general, the CUSO offers excellent courses, but I have no direct information or feedback on this specific worskhop.

My personal answer to your timing question would be to concentrate on your PHD and then undertake enough in advance workshops such as these (& other enquiries, procedures, etc.) in the final stage, so as not to find yourself in a "no man's land" after your defense.

It is not rare that young researchers (not necessarily foreign) focus on their PHD almost exclusively (which is understandable) and then find themselves with the title but largely unprepared for the next stage... It can be demotivating or momentum fragilizer.

The general idea is to ensure as smooth as possible a transition.

To know more about the best timing, I would personally write to the organizer of the workshop (see .pdf for name), telling him you saw the workshop advertised this year, thought it was too early for you now and ask him what the optimal timing would be.

Best of all for the research!
GenMod

Message(s) : 118

Retour vers For foreign researchers / postdocs / PhD students