Tools to prepare a poster

Outils et ressources divers: listes de diffusion, ressources académiques en ligne, logiciels utiles, cours utiles, soutien, etc.

Tools to prepare a poster

Messagepar daria2013 » 19 Avril 2013, 00:00

Preparing posters is part of PhD and Postdocs duties, knowing some free tools to prepare the best looking one is useful.

As personal experience, I asked most common tools used, I got two traditional references power-point and impress (from open office). Nevertheless, I was not happy with the options, I have experience using Corel-Draw, but you have to pay for it :(, so I searched on internet the closest open source application (closest to Corel), and I found Inkscape!.

This tool, works almost like Corel Draw, if you know about it ;), otherwise, I can summarize it as a great tool that allow you to:
  • Define exact size of the Document
  • Work on several layers
  • Vector graphics
  • Easy to export your poster as Pdf (easy to copy and print)
  • Install for Free (Linux and Windows)

Once I started working with it, I loved it!, now on, when a new phd ask me for suggestions to create a poster, here you go: Inkscape!.

If you know other useful tools to prepare posters, I would like to give try....
daria2013

Message(s) : 27

Re: Tools to prepare a poster

Messagepar geekie » 19 Avril 2013, 16:37

Yes, I use Inkscape too (mostly as a substitute to Adobe Illustrator)

I like to to use open source software and support GNU projects (see below)

Through the site you have access to guides, tutotials and a community too.

In short an excellent tool, worth getting familiar with

GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE; this means you are free to use and distribute Inkscape for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, without any restrictions. You are also free to modify the program as you wish, but with the only restriction that if you distribute the modified version, you must provide access to the source code of the distributed version.

In their own terms:

Inkscape is an open-source [scalable ]vector graphics editor similar to Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Freehand, or Xara X.

Supported on:
Linux (binary packages are offered by the distributor), packages for Windows XP/Vista/7 (fully self-contained installer), and Mac OS X (DMG),
geekie

Message(s) : 39

Retour vers Miscellanea