A reliable source of data?

Outils et ressources divers: listes de diffusion, ressources académiques en ligne, logiciels utiles, cours utiles, soutien, etc.

A reliable source of data?

Messagepar daria2013 » 29 Avril 2013, 22:32

Are you sure that you have a reliable source of data? Part of the collaborations could imply working with other's data, to build trust relations we don't question much about the origin, details of the gathering etc. Nevertheless, at certain point we should have enough details and references about how the data has been collected. Probably the academic system is demanding to much from articles, books, i.e. publications, publications, publications. Although is becoming a more competent environment, is definitely more ethic to report only what we have really found on real data.

This lines came after reading an article that was circulating all around last year, from which several PhDs and Postdocs resulted affected, due to faked data. I invite you to read it, and make ourselves more conscious when we collaborate, but as well when we become part of the system (reviewers side), to question the origin and validity of the data. It's us who make the system work or fail, so, let's do our best and make it work.

Let's question, let's analyze and let's ask for more evidence, if we have any doubt.
daria2013

Message(s) : 27

Re: A reliable source of data?

Messagepar Nicolas » 30 Avril 2013, 13:19

In my discipline (ethnologie), the source of data is the reseracher him/herself, as it is an interpretive science based on witnessing non-replicable practices in natural social contexts.

Discussing the relevance of data or adding new interpretive layers has always been part of the ongoing construction of our social science... with the occasional onburst of massive controversies on which a few scholars have built their careers.

This said, there also seems to be an implicit practice of not raising too many questions or being too frontal in case of doubts on the reliability of the data (contrary to easy triggered critiques of interpretations).

I imagine it is due to the large impossibility of data falsification (in a popperian sense).
Nicolas

Message(s) : 35

Re: A reliable source of data?

Messagepar daria2013 » 02 Mai 2013, 20:13

I could say I am happy for not being part of disciplines like yours, I am not sure I will be able to judge a paper nor even question in a presentation :S. Is may be due to the fact that I am already more focused on the fact that we need to have replicable results in order to publish, and also in most of the cases, share or make public our source of data, so others can reproduce our experiments or build somethings else on top of them.

I can imagine that having a high amount of publications must be even harder and.... a much longer reviewing process.
daria2013

Message(s) : 27

Retour vers Miscellanea